For me, a house feels like a home when the people in it are happy. And one major way to do that is by not tripping over all kinds of random stuff on the floor or having to sift through heaps of junk on the dining table for gosh knows how long to find that one thing that they need.
Okay, that’s specifically about me, but having a neat, clutter-free home does bring me joy like no other because that means I’m not spending that time in the actual act of cleaning up after anyone. That’s why I love these home organization ideas and DIY storage hacks to prolong that bliss.
Let's be friends! Follow me on Pinterest: Pinterest
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This blog is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
Home organization ideas
In my experience, I’ve found these top tips to help me maintain a clutter-free home:
1. Have a place for everything. It might seem tedious to assign a spot for everything at first, but you just have to figure it out once and you’re done. Not having to decide where to put something time and time again saves so much brain power. Along with this tip is always putting something away after use. That way you actually remember where it should be and you don’t have to deal with it later.
2. Designate zones in your home. The most used items should be placed in easily accessible areas to make it simple to put back in its place. Plus, by congregating these highly-used items in the same area, you’re able to contain the mess. It’s much easier to clean one messy drawer, than a whole messy room (or worse, house).
3. Aim for practical, not perfect. While some people are talented enough to keep OCD-levels of organization up, like with toy legos sorted by color, I know that I am not one of them. Rather than aim for perfection, I focus on functionality. When you group things by their function rather than fixate on color or size, per se, you can still keep things organized but not having to be flawless. I am all for low maintenance.
4. Build a 15-minute clean up in your daily schedule. It’s much easier to pick up one or two items at a time than to wait for the mess to accumulate to an overwhelming task. You’d be surprised at how manageable it is to keep a neat house when it becomes a daily habit. I spend about 10 minutes in high traffic areas (eg. kids play area, dining table) and the other 5 rotating lesser-used rooms each day.
5. Involve family members. Keeping a mess-free home should be the responsibility of ALL who live in the space, not just MOM. Get everyone aboard with chore charts to help keep family members on track and accountable, or carve out clean-up time each month for the entire family to do a thorough clean up of the house.
Home cleaning calendar printable schedule
Here’s a cute printable with a monthly action plan to clean your entire home. It includes recurring daily and weekly tasks, as well as once-a-month deep cleans. (via Printable Crush)
Home storage solutions
DIY home storage ideas that will keep your home organized on a budget, broken down by area of the house.
Ready-made solutions for the entire home
These products are meant as easy storage for small spaces, whether you live in an apartment or quaint home.
These bedroom organization ideas take advantage of the space under your bed, the mattress, and even the side of the bed!
Get your wardrobe in tip top shape with these closet organization ideas to keep clothes, accessories, and shoes sorted.
Perhaps the tightest space in the house that requires a significant amount of storage could do with a makeover of these bathroom organization ideas.
Learn how to declutter your kitchen and reorganize it in a way to keep this highly used area's mess at bay.
Get your fridge organized with these clever hacks to add more vertical space to your icebox.
The pantry is another hotspot that can get messy real quick. Learn how to organize the pantry with these tips.
Grandma would be proud of these storage ideas for baking supplies.
Keep this area of your home sorted with free laundry printables.
Round up the mess of your little ones with these kids toys storage ideas for all around the house, from the playroom to bedroom to living room.
These garage organization ideas will have you leaving outside clutter in the dust.
And while you're at it with the garage, might as well conquer your main mode of transport with these car organization ideas as well.