I used to be “eh” about Target until I signed up for their baby registry and got hooked up with a bunch of freebies and coupons in gear for my baby. One of the easiest ways to my heart is free stuff for my kiddo. Another way? Saving me money. Read on for top insider ways to save money when you shop at Target.
Let's be friends! Follow me on Pinterest: Pinterest
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This blog is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
Recommended resources in this post:
- The Target thing that won my heart over, getting me freebies and huge discounts for baby gear (they've got one for couples and college students too)
- How I get discounted gift cards so I'm not paying full price at Target (claim your $5 bonus too!)
1. Target celebrates in your milestones with savings
Another perk with the baby registry is $50 worth of free samples and discount coupons. And all of this is completely free to sign up for!
2. Know what day of the week to shop at Target
Want to know when to get the best deals? Target marks down items in specific departments on different days of the week. According to All Things Target, here is the schedule that most stores follow:
- Monday – Electronics, Accessories, Kids Clothing, Books, Baby and Stationery
- Tuesday — Domestics, Women’s Clothing, Pets and Market (food items)
- Wednesday — Men’s Clothing, Health and Beauty, Diapers, Lawn & Garden items and Furniture
- Thursday — Housewares, Lingerie, Shoes, Toys, Sporting Goods, Decor & Luggage
- Friday — Auto, Cosmetics, Hardware, & Jewelry
3. Or, just go in earlier in the week
For the weekly ads, heading into Target earlier in the week increases your chances of catching deals while items are still in stock.
4. Not all clearances are created equal
Want to know if clearance items will be marked down even more? Look at the upper right hand corner for a number, which will indicate how much percent off you’re getting from the original price.
It starts at 15% off, then 30%, then 50%, and then 70%. Depending on the item, usually holiday ones, you can see prices marked up to 90% off.
You can play the waiting game, but you’re taking a gamble of someone else snatching up the deal.
5. 4 is your lucky number
Prices that end 4 will usually not be marked down any lower, so if you see it, snag it.
6. Shop elsewhere
Comparing prices at other stores (like this other favorite place of mine) can get your item for cheaper from Target through their price match guarantee. Unfortunately, this is not valid for Target stores in Hawaii.
7. Catch savings after your purchase
If you saw your item go on sale after you purchased it, you can get refunded the difference when you bring in receipt and show the new price to Target.
Or if you’d rather not spend your time doing that, install the free Paribus app, which will run through your store receipts from merchants like Target in your email and alert you if you are able to get some savings back.
8. Wait until the season is over for huge discounts
Target wants to get rid of their seasonal stock to make way for other great things so take advantage of low, low prices:
- January: Christmas, toys
- End of February: Valentine’s Day
- Mid-July: Toys
- July/August: Summer wear
- August/September: Back to school, outdoor gear (grills, patio, outdoor games)
- November: Halloween
9. Be loyal to Target
When you shop the Target brand, you’re bound to save. My favorite example: Up and Up diapers! I’ve done comparison shopping and this is the best deal on diapers.
10. Be rewarded when you shop Target regularly
Target has a subscribe and save option to set it and forget it for household items that you use regularly, like toilet paper, diapers, and toiletries. Get 5% when you use this program.
11. Get 5% and free shipping every time
If by now you’re loving Target as much as I do, then get their Target RedCard debit or credit card to get an additional 5% off and free shipping of your purchase. If you use this to buy Target-brand items through their subscribe and save, you’re essentially getting three times the savings.
12. Get discounts outside of Target
There are sites, like Raise.com, that sell gift cards at a discounted rate. Sign up for Raise.com through this link and get $5 off your first purchase.
13. Use shopping apps to increase your savings
Use apps that reward your shopping by giving you cash back when you shop online at retailers like Target. I have two favorites:
14. Download the apps
Target has two apps that will give you savings:
- The Target app connects to the weekly ad among other sales and deals.
- Target Cartwheel app with additional coupons that you can stack to save even more on top of other savings.
15. Get coupons right to your phone
Text COUPONS to Target at 827438 to get deals right to your mobile. There are even select categories you can hone in on. When you text BABY or TRAVEL, for example, you will get specific deals.
16. You can stack coupons
In addition to Target’s coupons, you can stack manufacturer coupons for additional savings. These coupons can be applied after price match (though you can’t use Target/Cartwheel coupons if you choose the price match).
17. Follow Target on social media
Follow Target on Twitter and/or Snapchat for exclusive deals.
18. Get free gift cards on special offers
Target has generous gift card promotions running constantly throughout the year. Stock up on these deals when you see them and get money to spend on your next Target run.
My favorite is "spend $xx in baby items to get a $xx gift card." I wait for these sales to stock up on diapers (because a mother can never have too many diapers) so I've never had to pay full price for them ever yet if you take into account these free gift cards we get.
19. Get free gift cards for being active online
Take surveys, watch videos, and do other mindless online tasks to earn rewards points through Swagbucks. The points can be redeemed for gift cards to merchants like Target.
20. Help the earth, help your wallet
When you bring your own reusable bags, Target will credit you for helping the environment.
21. Item out of stock? No problem!
Get a rain check and Target will honor the price when the item is restocked again.
22. Do strategic browses for ninja savings
Target doesn’t always advertise its sales, so be on the lookout for the ends of the aisles that are facing walls or on lower shelves for other good deals.
23. Make friends with Target employees
Team members get a discount on already great prices!
Or, if you're in need of some extra cash during the holidays, why not pick up a part-time shift at Target as your side hustle?
24. Mega stack those savings
Target is one of the best places to stack your coupons, but you don’t have to be a coupon master to maximize your savings.
Just for fun, here are some scenarios to help you get the most bang for your buck:
Shopping online at Target:
- Buy discounted gift card first through Raise.com
- Use the Ibotta app or shop through the Rakuten website to shop at Target and get cash back
- Use Target subscribe and save
- Apply a Target coupon code or your registry discount
- Buy the Target brand with gift card promotion
- Use the Target and/or Cartwheel apps
- Apply a manufacturer’s coupon or registry discount
- Carry your purchases in a reusable bag
With this many ways to save money when you shop at Target, you’ll definitely want to make this part of your regular shopping. See what you can find at Target now.