Beginning the ketogenic diet and want to know what the craze is all about?
You’re in luck because I put together the quickest ultimate beginner's guide to the ketogenic diet for weight loss you’ll come across.
Let's be friends! Follow me on Pinterest: Pinterest
This post contains affiliate links. If you choose to buy something using my link, I earn a commission at no extra cost to you. This blog is independently owned and the opinions expressed here are our own. For more information, see my disclaimer here.
In this post:
Keto Diet Definition
Let's start things off by stating what the keto diet even is. It's a low-carb and high-fat diet that helps you shed the pounds by transitioning your body from its typical carb-burning process to a fat-burning process called ketosis.
Yeah, if that went over your head like it did when I first looked into the keto diet for beginners, don’t worry. I've got 10 quick guides that'll make you feel like a keto diet expert by the time you're through.
1. Detailed Ketogenic Diet for Beginners Guide Infographic Chart
This one is good to start off with. Here’s what you’ll get out of this infographic:
- What is a ketogenic diet definition
- Types of ketogenic diets
- Health benefits of a ketogenic diet
- General ketogenic diet foods to avoid and eat
- Sample week 1 ketogenic diet meal plan menu
2. Health Benefits of the Keto Diet Infographic Chart
I think one of the main things that people want to know as a beginner of the keto diet, are what health benefits it can offer. Here's a simple yet informative list that outlines a few more benefits that weren’t mentioned in the first chart: heart health, appetite and weight loss, cognitive and emotional health benefits, and increased energy levels. (via My Keto Kitchen)
3. What is Ketosis Overview Infographic Chart
If the health benefits intrigued you, then you’ll want to know how the diet actually works. With the ketogenic diet, the success of rapid weight loss rides on switching your body to a naturally occurring fat-burning process called ketosis. It’ll help to understand what’s going on with your body physiologically if you’re planning to go through with the ketogenic diet. This chart covers:
- Glucose, carbohydrates and how your body’s metabolism works
- Fat-burning basics of ketones, ketosis, and ketogenesis
- Conversion of protein into energy and muscle loss (you definitely want to avoid this)
(via Ruled Me)
Side note: These popular ketone strips can help you figure out if you’re in ketosis.
4. Keto Diet Calculator / Best Macro Calculator Conversion Infographic Chart
The chart above will lead you to wonder, what is the proper proportion of carbs, proteins, and fats that you should be eating on the keto diet? Here’s an easy infographic that breaks it down.
When you look more into the keto diet, you’ll learn about calculating your macronutrients. To me, the best macro calculator is one that uses the least amount of math. You should keep this simple keto diet calculator for reference. (via Marge Burkell)
5. Ultimate Keto Diet Food List Infographic Chart
More importantly, if you're going to do this diet, you want to know what you’re allowed to eat. Here's a list of 200+ items that fit this diet in a nice keto diet food list that you can use as a keto diet grocery list since it’s broken down by food categories:
- Vegetables you can eat on the keto diet
- Fruits you can eat on the keto diet
- Meats and legumes you can eat on the keto diet
- Fats, oils, dairy, nuts and seeds you can eat on the keto diet
- Other foods you can eat on the keto diet
6. Low Carb Vegetables for the Ketogenic Diet Infographic Chart
The list above can be intimidating, but a very basic concept to remember is that you want low carb intake. Carbs are hard to completely cut out, so instead, go for healthier good carbs, which tend to be vegetables. Regardless of if you’re a vegetarian on the keto diet or not, you’ll want to incorporate more of this top 20 good carbs list of veggies. (via Nutrition Advance)
7. Low Carb Hacks for the Keto Diet Infographic Chart
Knowing what you can use to substitute for unhealthy, empty carbs will also help you succeed at the ketogenic diet. You can consider the left side a bad carbs list, or hidden carbs you’d rather avoid or not eat as much of, and the right side healthier alternatives and carb substitutes to use instead and try to use more of in your cooking and eating. (via Ditch the Carbs)
8. Why Eat Fat Bombs on the Ketogenic Diet Infographic Chart
One of the perks of the ketogenic diet is the emphasis on fats, meaning yummy keto-friendly snacks and desserts. Here’s an overview that explains:
- Why eating fat bombs helps in the keto diet
- What are fat bombs and features and composition of fat bombs
- How to make fat bombs
(via Slick Weight Loss)
Side note: Check out this book of over 100 recipes for sweet and savory fat bombs.
9. When Does Keto Flu Start Infographic Chart
As awesome as eating fat bombs all day sounds, you should also prepare yourself for some adverse symptoms your body may undergo as a result of adjusting to metabolic changes.
Some beginning the keto diet are fortunate to not experience any sickness at all, but for some keto diet beginners, you may experience carb flu or keto flu, which may include fever, diarrhea, vomiting, and other fun stuff.
Know what to expect and should do if it strikes with this chart that tells you:
• What is the keto flu and causes
• Keto flu symptoms
• Electrolytes, vitamins, and minerals your body needs + food sources
Just know that there’s light at the end of the
bowel tunnel. (via Health in a Second)
Side note: It’s important to replenish the electrolytes that you’re losing. Here’s a hugely popular one.
10. Ketogenic Diet on a Budget Infographic Chart
As with groceries and food in general, there are ways to afford healthy groceries without spending an arm and a leg. Use these shopping, cooking, and eating tips to shave costs from your food budget. (via Slick Weight Loss)
Side note: Use the Ibotta money-saving app to get rebates for your groceries. Get a $10 welcome bonus for first-time customers.
Now you know so much more about the ketogenic dieting lifestyle. This beginner's guide to the ketogenic diet for weight loss gives you a comprehensive overview of what the ketogenic diet is, what kinds of foods you can eat, what changes to expect to see in your body, and other great tips to help you decide if the keto diet is something you think worth giving a try.